Monday, July 13, 2009

Recovering

It's been a couple of months since I've visited here--busy months. I tested positive for the BRCA-2 gene, and thus began a round of new procedures. It is the source of breast , ovarian , colon, stomach, pancreas, and prostate cancer and melanoma. My sister has Stage 4 breast cancer now, brother died of melanoma, other brother had prostate cancer. Only one sister is free, and thus probably negative. My kids each have a 50-50 chance of testing positive, and if they do, each of their kids the same odds. Not a feel-good legacy. My colonoscopy revealed only a single small adenoma, easily removed, with followup every three years from now on (colon cancers are slow growing). I had my ovaries removed last week, because ovarian cancer is very hard to detect until it's too late, and it moves quickly. They looked good, but because of all the abdominal surgeries I've had, the surgery was another full-on abdominal, with the resultant recovery issues. I'm doing well. Considering.

My own three children, all in late-40s, 50, have had no problems, which is a really good sign. Oh, if only I could be "the one" to have it all so they don't have to go through it, nor any of their children--some of whom are adults and in their childbearing years. I've had six breast cancers now, before finally having both breasts removed entirely. (Not my choice--I'd have done it 30 years ago if the doctors had been willing. Didn't know then what my rights as a patient were.)

So much for the health update. It does now feel like the first week of the rest of my life, after the last year of diagnosis, surgery, chemo, many staph infections, immune system breakdown, life interruptions constantly, and finally peace--just in time for the BRCA gene to kick it all off again. I'm going to my family reunion on the gene side of the family the end of the month, and will let it be known--quietly--that anyone who wants to talk about the implications of the family BRCA gene should come and see me. It's mind-boggling to me (but understandable, I guess) that so many, including my two sisters, don't want to know a thing about it. Barely, even my own status. My concern for others who don't want to know if they have the gene is ovarian cancer, which is so hard to detect, but there are ways to screen for it--certainly not routine or easy, but I would think necessary. And there's always removal. Same with breasts. Lots of screening options, and finally, removal as an option. But knowing one has the gene means vigilance about screening--beyond mammograms, young women should have ultrasounds and/or MRIs at least annually, if not more frequently. My last one was "fast-growing" and they judge it went from stage zero to stage two in eight months. There was also one in the other breast, stage zero. Who wants that worry constantly?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment